Monday 12 October 2009

A History Of Computer Games 1950-1970

In the year of 1952, A.S. Douglas created Tic-Tic-Toe, the very first graphical computer game; also known as Noughts and crosses- I didn’t know this- and he displayed his ingenious idea onto a 35 x 16 pixel screen. Obviously over time, computer graphics increased in sophistication, and it was only until 1981 that the first ever 3D game was released for a home computer system.

Until 1977, all games were played in arcades, but the Atari VCS 2600 games console changed that. People were able to play games in the comfort of their homes. I find that this is a revelation! It is important as it has enabled us to create a game for a longer duration than you would at an arcade; as you would have to constantly put money into a machine, whether it was to start a game, or continue it.

As a child of seven, the very first game I had ever played was “Cool Boarders” on Playstation one. I am honestly not one of the best gamers in history, or perhaps ever, but with this game, I thought I was amazing. I could go on story mode and play for hours, doing tricks and exploring the levels (which was honestly, not that many); but as it came to “free-styling” I got a few tricks right (because it showed the controls) but as it got on, I failed. Not being as good on games as I had hoped, it has almost “limited” the types of games I go on; not just that, but also genre, such as horror. I am able to watch others play scary games, but when it comes down to me, I get scared, it is like being in the game! Thankfully PS3 came out and along came Little Big Planet, my all time favourite game! I just love the way that everything, levels, items and Sackboy, are made from actual items and textures, and how everything reacts physically as it would in real life. I think this game is outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment